Mondays With Mookie | Sept. 26th

Written by: Michael Rasch

Monday, September 26, 2016

Last week I began my first blog on how I came to Oak Hills. I’m not saying it is the best blog ever written, but for an old man, I didn’t think it was half bad! So if you read last week’s blog you know I was let go from my job at 60 years old, and basically down in the dumps.

It didn’t take long until I got a few job offers! They weren’t exactly what I was looking for, but jobs nonetheless. I had a choice. Either I would be at Oak Hills Christian College as VP for Enrollment or at an underground cable company in a marketing and sales position. I took the underground cable company. It wasn’t because I knew anything about the business, but because it offered more money. It’s all about the money, you know! So life was good again -- I had a job, good money, benefits -- what more could I ask for? I could be comfortable until retirement in 5 years. Or so I thought.

Remember last week when I said God will get your attention? Well, He got my attention again! I lasted about four months in that position. It was not at all what I had in mind, so I left on good terms. I felt a little more at ease this time, I think because I put my faith in God. I soon ended up with a company called ServPro (a water mitigation company out of Grand Rapids) as a sales and marketing representative. I really enjoyed getting to meet a lots of people and was able to touch base with many of the insurance agents that I had when I was an insurance executive. I was on the road a lot for about two years, but getting up at 5 a.m and getting home at 7 p.m. got to be taxing. Little did I know that God was using that time on the road (listening to Christian radio) to keep me focused on Him, everyday.

The Oak Hills position opened up again soon thereafter. I think God felt He had my attention at this point. Why else would this position open up again two years after I did not take it?! I applied, interviewed, and the rest is history! I have been at Oak Hills for 1.5 years now as the VP for Enrollment.

When God wants to use you, He will! It may not be what you had in mind, however.

The song for me that really sets all this in perspective is “Eye of the Storm” by Ryan Stevenson. It puts life into perspective with the reminder that God is the anchor in your life when storms and turmoil hit.

God Bless and see you in the blogs!
Mike (Mookie)

I'd like to extend an invitation to our Fall Preview Day, on October 21st. I would enjoy meeting you in person, and discussing your future at Oak Hills Christian College. Click on the button below to learn more about Preview Day. 

Back to Real Faith

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts