Fall Preview day 2016 Through Our New Counselor's Eyes

Written by: Kierlyn Ward

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

fall-preview-day-2016.jpg

It was great to get to know new students during Fall Preview Day. It’s one thing to be communicating with students over the phone or through an email, but seeing someone face-to-face, learning about their passions, and seeing them in pursuit of their future by taking a campus tour was enlightening and truly helped me meet the needs of individual students.

Some students were able to meet with a specific sports coach and begin envisioning college competing. Others were able to meet with their advisors and listen as their idea of a future career took a more clear image. An undecided student had the opportunity to sit and discuss her future with the Dean of Education. Another student needed a flexible schedule, as their day was full to the brim, so they joined us midway and still gleaned far more information than a piece of paper or a conversation could ever communicate.

IMG_2995.jpg

When the students toured the new dorm where they would be living, they could see the centralization of community living and its importance on Oak Hill’s Campus. It is so exciting to see the possibility of these wonderful individuals becoming part of this, both to contribute in ways that nobody else could, and to grow in a place that is so unique to Northern Minnesota.

I am never so passionate as when I can come alongside a student and the dreams God has placed within them. If I can do anything to propel that vision forward I am overjoyed to do it! I have an amazing job. That sounds like an unreal and cheesy statement. But my goodness, the kingdom of God is right in my face! How couldn’t I feel like that?

Kierlyn Ward
Admissions Counselor and Oak Hills Alumni

Back to Real Life

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts